Pages

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Bandit's last day- A trip to the mountians

Saturday we went to Mt. Charleston to play in the snow. Our kids haven't had a chance to play in the snow yet this winter so we made a few trips to Savers and DI to find snow clothes and packed the family into the truck. We had a wonderful day. It was Bandit and Jaxon's first time to see snow. They both loved it. Bandit didn't want to jump out of the truck- he was scared of the snow. Once he was down he loved it!! He was running and playing and trying to eat it. We were sledding and enjoying the few hours we had.
 - Then tragedy struck -
Jaxon and Kelsi were in the truck getting warm. Kevin was taking pictures of Breeona and I sliding down the hill one last time. Bandit decided to run into the main road and we started calling him back- as he was wandering back a big green truck came around the corner and even though the driver tried to stop he ended up hitting Bandit. Kevin, Breeona and I saw the whole thing. It was the most horrific thing ever. Breeona started screaming and screaming so I grabbed her and pulled her away. I looked down the hill and saw Bandit limping toward Kevin so I thought maybe he's just hurt. The truck didn't seem to hit him that hard. The driver had stopped and so I had Breeona run back up the hill to Kelsi. I ran down to see if I could help. I talked to the driver and he was so sad and sorry. He almost had started to cry. He said he had tried to slam on his brakes but could stop. I told him it wasn't his fault- and I really do believe that- it is our fault for not keeping better track of him. He left and I went to Kevin and Bandit. Right as I got there Bandit was slipping away. I cried hard. As did the rest of the family. We went back up the hill to see how B was doing. Needless to say it was a rough afternoon.  That night Kevin gave Breeona a blessing and luckly she slept pretty well. I can't say the same about Kevin and I. Both of us had bad dreams. Downstairs feels so empty now.
Here are some pictures from that day.


Photobucket


2 comments:

tiffunny said...

Oh I am so sad for you guys. A terrible ending to a fun day. He was such a good looking dog. I am so sorry that happened to you all.

Lisa said...

I am so sorry. I know how hard it is to lose a dog like that :(