Pages

Monday, April 14, 2008

Its a hard knock life --for me

It is harder being a Gunderson than I thought... Well, in fact I'm still not an official Gunderson. That was my four hour issue today. I started the day early for me on a Monday. That's right I got up at 7:00, now I know my husband was up two hours earlier. But Monday is still the weekend for me so... anyway... I had grand plans for getting a ton of things done on my to- do list. Right now on my to- do list is mostly newlywed things like new licence, merge bank accounts, change of address, and the first and most important, change the last name from Hagel to Gunderson. I can't do anything until I change my last name. By the end of the day I wished there was some sort of easy check list for dummies. I don't think there is, at any rate I'm sure I couldn't find it. SO, for anyone else out there that needs to change your last name you can just follow my steps. (you might want to skip a few, cause mine might be for dummies but they are not easy)
step 1: find all paperwork I think I might need for the day, but no one knows for sure.
step 2: have mom find address for Social Security Office (I don't have a phone book).
step 3: try to find SS office.
step 4: ask directions.
step 5: enter and look lost in a sea of seats and waiting people.
step 6: while looking lost have very kind security guard tell you that you are in fact in a SS Office, but this location does not do name changes.
step 7: get directions for SS Office across town.
step 8: drive 40 min to other SS Office.
step 9: enter and look lost in a sea of seats and waiting people.
step 10: read directions, push 1, get number, fill out paper.
step 11: wait twenty min.
step 12: get to window only to learn that I need the "official" marriage certificate not "pretty" marriage certificate. NO ONE will take the pretty one. They must have the "official" one. Also, the 100 page divorce paperwork is not enough, I need the pages with the official seal.
step 13: MUST GET OUT everything was too official.
step 14: insert address to recorder office in to phone (place where "official" marriage certificate is supposedly found).
step 15: go on wild goose chase.
step 16: note to self - cell phones play tricks that are not funny.
step 17: call recorder office and get directions.
step 18: back track a few miles.
step 19: meet yet another nice security officer who leads us in the right direction.
step 20: follow signs to second floor and find recorder offices.
step 21: get number even though there is no line.
step 22: wait all of 2 seconds for number to be called.
step 23: roll eyes at the fact that local government does not have the ability to say "next?" and must hand out numbers to the one and only person in line.
step 24: tell recorder what I need only to be asked what my marriage licence number is.... tell me who has this memorized?
step 25: get out "pretty" certificate, the one NO ONE will take and hand to recorder.
step 26: again roll eyes at the fact that although the numbers are the same I must have the "official" one. And laugh at the fact that I needed the "pretty" one in order to get the "official" one.
step 27: find out the the local government has not caught up with the rest of the western world and will not take a debit card only cash, check, or get this, money order -
step 28: write a check for 10 dollars
step 29: drive home
step 30: evaluate day: 4 hours of driving, sitting, standing, and walking. Hunted out and found 4 of the 5 pieces of paperwork I need. Still a Hagel. Can't do anything else on to-do list because of last name issues. realization that although local government is hell, security guards are little angels from heaven.
step 31: make plan to revisit SS Office. open only from 9 to 4. I work 8 to 3. maybe next Monday....
GOOD LUCK!!

6 comments:

c-natalie-l-k said...

He he! I had a good laugh!!! Thanks! :) Hope your next adventure is more successful!

It was fun talking to you today!

We are the Dall family said...

Wow, I don't think it is that hard in Utah. Hopefully next week will bring less problems.

Trent and Casandra said...

it probably wasn't that hard in utah, but it was still quite a pain in the butt! i feel your pain, i just got done changing all my stuff. p.s. if you change your passport within 6 months of your wedding it will be free, instead of another 100 bucks. just something i wish i'd known!

Cassie Jo said...

Hang in there trooper! I must say I would have given up after step 21. And no, it wasn't that hard in Utah. Look at the bright side, you probably will never have to do this again! Me on the other hand...

Lisa said...

Wow - so glad I found your blog. We miss you in primary :)

I am SO sorry to hear about your day!! on your day off too!! How horrible. I hope you get your name "officially" changed too :)

Rissa and Jared said...

this is exactly why i haven't changed my name and am not likely to do so for a while.